Thursday, September 7, 2017

"The Adventure of the Creeping Man"

The Creeping Man.
The case begins Sunday, September 6, 1903.
Why?

STATEMENT OF THE WEEKDAY, MONTH, AND YEAR:
"It was one Sunday evening early in September of the year 1903 that I
received one of Holmes’s laconic messages . . ."

TIME UNTIL THE WRITING:
"Mr. Sherlock Holmes was always of opinion that I should publish the singular facts connected with Professor Presbury, if only to dispel once for all the ugly rumours which some twenty years ago agitated the university and were echoed in the learned societies of London."

DATES FROM THE ADMIRABLE BENNETT:
"Thus I have it here that it was on that very day, July 2d, that Roy attacked the professor as he came from his study into the hall. Again, on July 11th, there was a scene of the same sort, and then I have a note of yet another upon July 20th."
"I have said, sir, that it was the night before last—that is, September 4th."
"There was a period of excitement upon August 26th."
"This excellent young man’s diary shows that there was trouble upon July 2d, and from then onward it seems to have been at nine-day intervals, with, so far as I remember, only one exception. Thus the last outbreak upon Friday was on September 3d, which also falls into the series, as did August 26th, which preceded it."

AND ONE FROM HOLMES:
"The date being September 5th . . ."

THE FOLLOWING DAY:
"To-morrow, Mr. Bennett, will certainly see us in Camford."
"Monday morning found us on our way to the famous university town."

THE DAY OF HOLMES’S RETURN:
"Unless I am mistaken, next Tuesday may mark a crisis. Certainly we shall be in Camford on that day."
"I saw nothing of my friend for the next few days, but on the following Monday evening I had a short note asking me to meet him next day at the train."

WHAT THE BARING-GOULD ANNOTATED SAYS:
September 6, 1903. 

WHAT ZEISLER, THE KING OF CHRONOLOGY, SAYS:
September 6, 1903.

THE BIRLSTONE RAILWAY TIMETABLE:
For a somewhat outlandish tale, "The Adventure of the Creeping Man" could give us no clearer set of dates, all nicely corresponding to the days of the week cited. It was a Sunday early in September of 1903 and "the night before last" was the 4th, so it must be Sunday, September 6, 1903.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"The Gloria Scott"

The Gloria Scott. The case begins Saturday, July 3, 1880. Why? SEASON OF THE TELLING: "I have some papers here," said my ...